Blue Reef Aquarium, Portsmouth seeks a Displays Supervisor
Blue Reef Aquarium, a leading visitor attraction in the South has an exciting opportunity for the right candidate to join the Zoological team as a Displays Supervisor. Our Zoological department is responsible for all displays, including our 200,000 litre ocean tunnel exhibit, as well as a diverse collection of reptiles, amphibians, mammals and invertebrates.
Reporting to the General Manager, the successful candidate will be responsible for the day-to-day management of the Zoological Team. The successful candidate must possess a degree in Marine Biology or similar subject. A hands-on approach is required to ensure the team achieves the highest standards of animal care and husbandry. You will also promote a high standard of health and safety for all aquarium visitors and staff. You will be responsible for the husbandry of all displays and maintenance of life support systems. A proven ability to design, construct and maintain aquaria is a must and experience with PVC pipework, basic joinery and maintenance of life support equipment including pumps is also a must. Other responsibilities will include providing veterinary care, display development and breeding programmes.
With your strong communication and leadership skills, as well as a ‘lead by example’ management style you will motivate and inspire your team to present the Aquarium’s displays to an exceptional standard, whilst ensuring the continued development of exhibits to incorporate novel and innovative approaches.
Key Responsibilities will include:
• Ensure the highest standards of animal husbandry and care.
• Deliver excellent exhibit presentation at all times in order to delight, enthuse and educate our visitors
• Control costs within budget including both zoological expenses and personnel costs.
• Monitoring water quality on filtration systems and carrying out regular plumbing works and planned scheduled maintenance.
• Deliver set presentations and daily feeds to a world class standard at all times.
• Fulfill the role of Duty Manager when required.
The successful candidate will be required to work full time, 5 days every week on a rota’d basis, including regular weekends and Bank Holidays.
To apply – please send your up-to-date CV with a covering letter outlining your salary expectations to: [email protected] or: Lindsay Holloway, Blue Reef Aquarium, Clarence Esplanade, Southsea, PO5 3PB
Blue Reef Aquarium is an Equal Opportunities Employer.
Closing date: 31st May 2013